by TheLoneWanderer Today at 7:52 am

» Hiroyuki Takijima - Dragon in a Cage - Reboot
by TheLoneWanderer Today at 7:52 am

» Cyber Saturday 2024 - Panther Risako vs Ellie St. James
by Underdog21 Today at 5:43 am

» Cyber Saturday 2024 - Kairi Kamiya vs. Elizabeth "Riza" Hawkeye
by Yori Today at 1:11 am

Who is online?
In total there are 212 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 210 Guests :: 2 Bots

CrashTestDumbass, Leon564

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 418 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am
Champions & #1 contenders

FRICTION

Friction World Champion
Rebecca Tomko
#1 contender
???

Tag Team Champions
Helldozer
#1 contender
???

Hardcore 24/7 Champion
Yona "The Graceful Undead" Giovanni
#1 contender
???

Hentai Champion
Bianca Garcia
#1 contender
???

Entropy Champion
Panther Risako
#1 contender
Ellie St. James

Rising Star Champion
Piper Sherwood
#1 contender
???

TENSION  

Tension World Champion
Sierra Oasis
#1 contender
???

Nekketsu Champion
Iris Takahashi
#1 contender
Giovanni "Gyro" Zeppeli

All of blade/speranza wreslters

Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:00 am by Blade/speranza

Comments: 0

Be nice to new people!

+6
zxn666
Kitten
Old_Man_Tai
Vivian
Admin
Alexandra
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Be nice to new people! Empty Be nice to new people!

Post by Alexandra Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 am

Alright, lemme get this part out of the way: I'm not aiming this thread at anyone in particular or trying to call out anyone in particular. This is something that's been on my mind for more than a while now, and I feel it's time to finally get it off my chest.

AFW is, more than just sometimes, a bit harder towards new people than we should be. No, I'm serious.

And, before you think I'm overreacting or seeing things that aren't there, I'm not. Really, I'm not. More than once in the past I've had people sending me PMs, thanking me for being nice to them in their first thread, then telling me they were probably going to leave because people here didn't seem to like them. One of them actually happened quite recently, in fact.

I understand though, I really do. You all love AFW, otherwise you wouldn't be here still. AFW is, for better or for worse, the only site of it's kind, and you don't want people you don't find worthy posting here. That's okay. I get it, I really do. There's a difference though between being overly harsh and being welcoming and constructive, though. Just because someone has less-than-perfect grammar and spelling in their first post in the Discussion forum, or they say something that slightly rubs you the wrong way, doesn't mean you should jump on them and try to scare them off. Give them a damn chance, alright?

And before you say something like "I'm just joking" or "They should get a sense of humor!" or something like that, stop. Things like sarcasm and 'humor' don't always translate well over text, especially when a lot of people attracted to AFW don't speak English as their first language. Not only that, but some people get nervous as hell posting in a new community for the first time.

(I know that much from first-hand experience. Hell, I still have a lot of trouble sending people here PMs or poking them on AIM/YIM to talk.)

I guess what I've trying to say is, well...lighten up on the new folks, okay? If they make a mistake or say something you don't like, go easy on them. There's a fine line between giving constructive criticism, and being mean, alright? When you post a response to their "Hi! I'm new!" thread, think about what you're saying before you click "Submit".

Remember...every single one of us was new once. Did you want people hard on you when you first joined?

Last edited by 549 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Alexandra
Alexandra

Back to top Go down

Be nice to new people! Empty Re: Be nice to new people!

Post by Admin Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 am

c: I respect this rule fully, to not to be snooty among new members, but welcoming than resorting to snobbery itself.

Admin
Site Admin

http://afwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 am

RESPECT! Damnit, that's the word I was trying to think of. Thanks, robot!

Anyway, yeah, respect. Being nice and constructive towards new members is a respect thing.

Show them the respect that you would want to be shown.
Alexandra
Alexandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivian Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am

Guess that's my fault ,I'm being harsh with someone new around here recently ,not because I don't like to talk with noob but the noob really don't have any patience n I dislike that...a lot.

Let's say he sent me a message about 20 mins ago n I forgot to reply it ,he immediately sends me another new message saying that I don't want to talk with him n stuff like that

So that's just annoying but my apologize goes to the person that I treated that way ,I was just busy ,hope you understand that

Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Man_Tai Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Actually you have a good point. Maybe we should be nicer to the new people, give them a fair shot, instead of treating them like crap and sending our resident holder of the Banhammer after them, just because we like how he treats them like crap and finds them guilty right off the bat.

If I were treated when I joined the way the neophytes are treated today, I honestly would have left.

However, be that as it may, would it kill the newbies to at least try to learn proper typing and grammar? I mean, mistakes are common, sure, especially here. But still, a newb that says "Hi, I like eating Pie because it is tasty" is easier to respect then one that goes

"Yeah hi ummm nott sure if right area but new and new girl blagoramam ish here to win all teh fights and stuff and how do i do everything and what is charactar secret backstory that i can know and why bacon tatse all white people like lol roflbox"

How can anybody respect that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitten Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:53 pm

never

cull the weak

destroy the unworthy

Be nice to new people! 6u0iRWY
Be nice to new people! QiougD6Be nice to new people! TTlOMaFBe nice to new people! 5t0Q5s2Be nice to new people! WBwz47u
Kitten
Kitten

Back to top Go down

Post by zxn666 Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:54 pm

I for one think it's good that we are harshly critical of newbies, simply because it will weed out the shitty writers and RPers and maintain a certain level of quality on this site. Fact is, we don't need all these new people, since the user see right now is large enough to be self-maintaining. The worst thing that can happen to this place is "eternal September" when the sheer amount of newbies becomes overwhelming, quality takes a nosedive, and the people who actually are good at RPing are so turned off that they leave.

zxn666

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitten Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

[quote="zxn666":1gyir4sa]I for one think it's good that we are harshly critical of newbies, simply because it will weed out the shitty writers and RPers and maintain a certain level of quality on this site. Fact is, we don't need all these new people, since the user see right now is large enough to be self-maintaining. The worst thing that can happen to this place is "eternal September" when the sheer amount of newbies becomes overwhelming, quality takes a nosedive, and the people who actually are good at RPing are so turned off that they leave.

this + 10000

edit: Yes. I am an elitist and I think it is a virtue.

Last edited by 909 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Be nice to new people! QiougD6Be nice to new people! TTlOMaFBe nice to new people! 5t0Q5s2Be nice to new people! WBwz47u
Kitten
Kitten

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Man_Tai Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Your logic is flawed. Without new people we just end up getting bored of facing each other in the same matches. Plus if there is someone you didn't like, a lack of new people and new matches means you would eventually be asked for a match with that person, which leads to you ignoring them, which leads to either hurt feelings or them hating you.

What if a new person ends up being really talented, yet we treated them like shite and they left? There could be a person better then all of us who left because one of us was a dick.

Also, lack of new blood will make us stagnant. We wouldn't have new ideas, like the ever growing more popular Tension Hotel idea.

Instead, we would give up creativity in exchange for comfort and we would grow bored with the group and leave. Then AFW is left a hollow husk of its former self.

Plus new people allow for new people to become popular and start having tons of threads and main eventing our ppvs and such. Sure right now we have a good group for that, what with Lunar, Kerflubs, Lobo, Tats, Bluemouse, Alex, Kels, Kitten, ZXN, Valen, and more. But what about when they leave? or have to take a break? or just step down from "main event" status for whatever reason? What if we become like WCW where the long timers don't want to give up their popular spots to the newer people that earned it?

Ok yeah...but mainly, its an issue of letting the board die out due to lack of interest. If we just end up facing each other over and over again, we will get bored and move on to other things. New blood will then help either keep this place alive after we leave, or it will at least keep us interested to stay around longer.

I say we not treat them so harshly, nor send our judgemental mods after them right off the bat. But instead give them time. See how they gel.

At the very least, give them a couple months to improve their goddamn typing and grammar. If it doesn't improve, then send them to Egge and let them suffer.

Edit: Also, despite what I just said, nobody can replace Tiefblau as the single best rper on the entire board.

Last edited by 143 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitten Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Respect is something you have to earn...

Just like in 'real' Pro Wrestling, you have to pay your dues. You start as a nobody, begging for matches, learning the ropes, making a name for yourself, putting a damn good effort to show you are someone worth playing with.

You don't come here and say 'I like this shit, but I am too lazy to make a few good characters or write good posts (or legible ones), but..hey!...you people are, so go ahead and entertain me."

This is a tough forum, if you don't have a skin thick enough to take it you don't belong here. We don't need more emo drama queens.

Last edited by 909 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kitten
Kitten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next