Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Rina Ninoita vs Blue Thunder Mask - Colour Clash
by Deus001 Yesterday at 11:52 pm

» On The Rise: Piper Sherwood vs Kimiko Bando for the AFW Rising Star Championship
by SigmaMorgan Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» Isabella vs Adama: Siren and Fairy
by Deus001 Yesterday at 9:56 am

» Violent Roses: Jessie Panic VS Galina Romerno
by Deus001 Yesterday at 9:33 am

» Cyber Saturday 2024 - Panther Risako vs Ellie St. James
by Underdog21 Yesterday at 4:07 am

Who is online?
In total there are 168 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 168 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 418 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am
Champions & #1 contenders

FRICTION

Friction World Champion
Rebecca Tomko
#1 contender
???

Tag Team Champions
Helldozer
#1 contender
???

Hardcore 24/7 Champion
Yona "The Graceful Undead" Giovanni
#1 contender
???

Hentai Champion
Bianca Garcia
#1 contender
???

Entropy Champion
Panther Risako
#1 contender
Ellie St. James

Rising Star Champion
Piper Sherwood
#1 contender
???

TENSION  

Tension World Champion
Sierra Oasis
#1 contender
???

Nekketsu Champion
Iris Takahashi
#1 contender
Giovanni "Gyro" Zeppeli

All of blade/speranza wreslters

Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:00 am by Blade/speranza

Comments: 1

"The Way" a must for RPG fans

3 posters

Go down

"The Way" a must for RPG fans Empty "The Way" a must for RPG fans

Post by Kelsea Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Following on from my previous thread about RPGs, there is one RPG thats earned a warm spot in my heart mainly because it was made on RPG maker 2000, this game is called "The Way"... If you've used RPG maker 2k before, you will know how hard it is to do ANYTHING on it and will appreciate "The Way" all the more (despite the old graphics)

The story itself is phenomal in my books... broken down into six episodes that when combine together is about the size of an official RP game. Whats more, each episode gets progressively better... The first episode didn't impress me greatly, but by the end of episode 4 I was in love with the creator of this game.

For years I've been looking for someone to plug this to, but no one ever takes the bait... So I'm gonna try it here. If you give it a chance and play all the way through, you will not be disappointed.

"The Way" site: [url:4vygsmy9]http://lun.cjb.net/[/url:4vygsmy9] Then click on the "download" link to access the 6 episodes and download them ^_^

Spotlight
characters:
"The Way" a must for RPG fans ELZuoMv"The Way" a must for RPG fans OG5hnua"The Way" a must for RPG fans Cg3CzYm"The Way" a must for RPG fans 398g342

Prepare your face for ThE BRaT PaCK
Kelsea
Kelsea
Site Admin

http://www.afwrpg.forumotion.com/t1368-kelsea-s-karacter

Back to top Go down

"The Way" a must for RPG fans Empty Re: "The Way" a must for RPG fans

Post by anegge Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 pm

I have played this up to the end of episode 4, and I hate it. Complete and utter hate. I can't stand it at all.

It seemed like it had a couple things going for it at first, but never played into those things at all.

NEWS FLASH: the Archergurl who you speaking of is not part of AFW anymore and she's currently working in production for new game titles in Japan. I'm her Canadian friend who she gave her PC due to mines has crashed. She was nice enough to give it to me to help a friend in need. So she got a spared one that she uses for the things I've mention above. BTW, Anegge and Alexandra be sure to check the E-mail adresses carefully. As Archergurl and me aren't the same thing.

My wrestlers
"The Way" a must for RPG fans GXChUKw"The Way" a must for RPG fans 1BElGMI"The Way" a must for RPG fans UR8UylU
anegge
anegge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsea Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow I'm surprised... I have completely the opposite feeling. Graphics aside, I would put this in my top 10 (and very likely top 5) favourite RP games I have played.

Although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you disliked it so much (without spoilers)

Spotlight
characters:
"The Way" a must for RPG fans ELZuoMv"The Way" a must for RPG fans OG5hnua"The Way" a must for RPG fans Cg3CzYm"The Way" a must for RPG fans 398g342

Kelsea
Kelsea
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by anegge Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:05 pm

[quote="Kelsea":2o4f739f]Wow I'm surprised... I have completely the opposite feeling. Graphics aside, I would put this in my top 10 (and very likely top 5) favourite RP games I have played.

Although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why you disliked it so much (without spoilers)

Keep in mind that I haven't played it for years and I prefer to block things I despise out of my mind.

Pros-
The sword growth gameplay system appeared to be interesting. I say appeared because I spent 4 'games' waiting for it to actually become interesting and it never did.

The plunge system, while mechanically stilted seemed like it would prove fun. Specifically I think I would have really enjoyed the plunge tournament, but when I quit plunge was still mostly a slog.

No random battles/controlled level up process ensured (supposedly) that the game would be at a consistent challenging difficulty level.

Passes-
The graphics and sound are ripped from other games. I don't have a problem with this and it's completely par for the course with RPG maker games. Although the big open level was a real abuse of that one ff6 tile set.

This game has that generic good/bad choices determine the ending thing. Pretty much before anyone else did it. I don't care for this, but I understand that some people like it.

The game is ultimately quite linear. It produces a pretty hostile feeling when combined with the fact that you have to complete every task to gain the level up items you need. I don't have much of a problem with linearity in RPGs, but it feels like it negates the need not to grind with the fact that you can't compensate for losses by going back to redo something.

Nothing really stood out to me about normal combat, but it wasn't awful either. Just normal levels of repitition.

Cons-
(I really feel like The Way chose all the things I dislike most about Final Fantasy games and smooshed them together into a big ball of hate.)

The main character is basically a massive sociopath when he's not busy being cliche (i.e. amnesia). The world, plot, and gameplay mechanics strongly reinforce the fact that the main character (who I despise) is the ONLY important character.

I hate minigames. They are a waste of time that distracts from the interesting gameplay (of any good RPG). This game is crammed full of them, and the rewards for success are level up items. The same level up items which are completely limited, so if you do not beat them you cannot maximize your' character. (My understanding is that if you turn the minigames off it is impossible to get one of the endings due to reduced character strength.

The plot of the first four games is completely bland and every time it offers a hint of something interesting it rips it away from you before you can pursue the plot thread.
This makes pacing feel abysmal. And honestly when the scene where I flee from a group of people lasts an hour it makes me think the author didn't understand anything about pacing in the first place.

Apparently the game is supposed to involve some sort of elaborate metaphor for Budhism but this doesn't seem to pan out at all either. If there is a Buddhist metaphor in this game it feels like it must have been written by some teenager who once read a book about the subject. Games that pretend to be meaningful but aren't really piss me off. Of course, this claim could just be a wordplay joke about the game's name.

----
In conclusion, there's a lot for me to hate in this game, and a long time for me to hate all of those things, and every single thing this game tries to do right it manages to fuck up completely.

NEWS FLASH: the Archergurl who you speaking of is not part of AFW anymore and she's currently working in production for new game titles in Japan. I'm her Canadian friend who she gave her PC due to mines has crashed. She was nice enough to give it to me to help a friend in need. So she got a spared one that she uses for the things I've mention above. BTW, Anegge and Alexandra be sure to check the E-mail adresses carefully. As Archergurl and me aren't the same thing.

My wrestlers
"The Way" a must for RPG fans GXChUKw"The Way" a must for RPG fans 1BElGMI"The Way" a must for RPG fans UR8UylU
anegge
anegge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsea Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:44 am

Battling/leveling systems did let this game down, ironically in the latest downloadable version of the game the creator has given you the option to set all battles off so that you can coast through the game and just experience the storyline. He also gives you the option to turn mini games and puzzles off as well... I actually did enjoy the mini games seems battle grinding in any RPG can get boring and repeatative, I was surprised that all the mini games in The Way are different.

[quote="anegge":170z38rl]This game has that generic good/bad choices determine the ending thing. Pretty much before anyone else did it. I don't care for this, but I understand that some people like it.

Nope... There are 3 endings and none of them are dependant on if you have been a good little boy or bad little boy.

[quote="anegge":170z38rl]My understanding is that if you turn the minigames off it is impossible to get one of the endings due to reduced character strength

No ^_^

[quote="anegge":170z38rl]The main character is basically a massive sociopath when he's not busy being cliche (i.e. amnesia).

I believe the main character is purposely been created with the intention of gainning distaste from the player at least once or twice... A bold move seems some people need to be able to identify with the main character, but not neccessarily bad move. As for cliches... I've seen main characters suffer from much more cliches in good RPs (eg. Cloud from FF7)

The world, plot, and gameplay mechanics strongly reinforce the fact that the main character (who I despise) is the ONLY important character.

Gameplay as in battle/level system... Yes that marked the main character as the only one important, but like I said the battle/level system let the game down. As in world and plot wise this couldn't be further from the truth... It follows the main character the same way any RPG or book might, but in the background each characters actually has their own agenda's and MOST of them agendas have nothing to do with the main character... It did have a tendecy for not showing you the full stories or agenda's of the side characters and leave you to fill in the blanks, but I love to speculate on things.

[quote="anegge":170z38rl]The plot of the first four games is completely bland and every time it offers a hint of something interesting it rips it away from you before you can pursue the plot thread.

Don't treat each episode as a seperate games... All 6 episodes is one game. The game as a whole is far from bland, however the first half of it (maybe the first 3 episodes) are bland in comparison to the rest of the game. The most plot progression happens in the last two episodes you didn't play. You also learn a lot more about the side characters in the last two.

From the sounds of it you're pretty set on you dislike for the game so don't think I'll win you over... For others though, if you love mystery you will like this game... the storyline is the most important thing so play through with "battles off" selected (the standard battle isn't anything special and although the leveling system is unique, you do end up needing to pick up every level up item available.)

Last edited by 2 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Spotlight
characters:

Kelsea
Kelsea
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by anegge Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 am

What I hear you suggesting here is that one should play this game for the story not the gameplay (except the minigames). You also say that the story isn't good for the first 15-20 hours.

Basically, I rarely play games for non-gameplay reasons.

Last edited by 121 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total

My wrestlers
anegge
anegge

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:18 am

Haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but it's on my list. I just wanted to step in and note something:

I've seen main characters suffer from much more cliches in good RPs (eg. Cloud from FF7)

FF7 is FAR from being one of my favorite RPGs, let alone one of my favorite Final Fantasies, but I'd just like to point out that most of the cliches Cloud 'suffers' from? He was the one to CREATE most of those cliches. It's a bit of a [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldisUnfunny:37imarke]Seinfeld Is Unfunny[/url:37imarke] situation where he gets a lot of heat he doesn't deserve.

But yeah, game looks neat, and I plan on working it into my gaming schedule soon!
Alexandra
Alexandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsea Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:16 am

[quote="anegge":1g0a7vww]What I hear you suggesting here is that one should play this game for the story not the gameplay (except the minigames). You also say that the story isn't good for the first 15-20 hours.

Basically, I rarely play games for non-gameplay reasons.

No, The Way has a good storyline that becomes great in later chapters... As aposed to FF13 that isn't good at all for the first 15-20 hours, or so I've heard seems I quit after 5 hours.

The Way is for players that enjoy storyline aspect of RPGs more. Some of the battle and leveling aspects aren't perfect, but other aspects of gameplay (minigames, if you like them and plunge system) are pretty cool and imaginative. Having played a number of other RPG maker 2k created games and having tried to create one myself... I'm amazed at what was achieved in the gameplay and individualizium of this game and haven't found a better RPG maker 2k game yet. So despite anegge's damning review zeropunctuation style, still give it a try and let me know how you got on ^_^ ... Perhaps you'll be struck with as much hatred or love for the game as we are lol.

[quote="Alexandra":1g0a7vww]FF7 is FAR from being one of my favorite RPGs, let alone one of my favorite Final Fantasies, but I'd just like to point out that most of the cliches Cloud 'suffers' from? He was the one to CREATE most of those cliches. It's a bit of a Seinfeld Is Unfunny situation where he gets a lot of heat he doesn't deserve.

Lol ok point taken, I was only really using Cloud as an example to suggest The Way's main character "Rhue" is not that cliched

Last edited by 2 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Spotlight
characters:

Kelsea
Kelsea
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down