Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 146 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 146 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 418 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am
Champions & #1 contenders
FRICTION

Friction World Champion
Rebecca Tomko
#1 contender
Lucia Lynch, The Lone Wolf

Tag Team Champions
Abdicated
#1 contender
Tag Team Glory
vs. Helldozer

Hardcore 24/7 Champion
Jack The Ripper
#1 contender
Yona "The Graceful Undead" Giovanni

Hentai Champion
Aphrodite
#1 contender
Bianca Garcia

Entropy Champion
Panther Risako
#1 contender
???

Rising Star Champion
"La Parca" Maria Castillo
#1 contender
Piper Sherwood

TENSION  

Tension World Champion
Sierra Oasis
#1 contender
???

Nekketsu Champion
Iris Takahashi
#1 contender
Giovanni "Gyro" Zeppeli

Alternative Arena

5 posters

Go down

What kind of things would interest you in the Alternative Arena?

Alternative Arena Vote_lcap10%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap14%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 4 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap3%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap24%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 7 ]
[ 4 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap7%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap10%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap0%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 4 ]
Alternative Arena Vote_lcap3%Alternative Arena Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 29

Alternative Arena Empty Alternative Arena

Post by Jaystar Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Hey everyone!

Over the years I have noticed that the Alternative Arena gets quite rarely used, even though it allows to do quite a bit of stuff that would not be possible on other arenas/boards. So, I just thought I'd make a quick poll to see how people felt about it, or what kind of stories/elements to play/read would be of most interest to people regarding it. And of course open comments and elaborations about feelings towards it are also welcome!

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that anything should be done to change/improve it or anything like that, I'm just curious about what interests people here in general.

Thanks!

P.S. Oh, and the available options are just something that came off the top of my head right now. Please feel free to elaborate/choose something outside the list! And you can also choose as many options as you like.

Jaystar

Back to top Go down

Alternative Arena Empty Re: Alternative Arena

Post by M.J.Caboose14 Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:35 pm

*Will do stuff if asked*

M.J.Caboose14

Back to top Go down

Post by Yori Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Not particularly interested in one off threads and temp characters. In the case of having abilities/powers, FnF exists to fill that gap and also doesn't really see use in that regard.

I just prefer to have and play characters with growth, often times in a very slow burn kind of way, so that section holds no real appeal to me. Haven't ever really been gone of non-canon to for the sake of to when I can just play in a place where those things can be built into the character development instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaystar Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Yori wrote:Not particularly interested in one off threads and temp characters. In the case of having abilities/powers, FnF exists to fill that gap and also doesn't really see use in that regard.

I see! I've actually thought about it in a bit different way, like that FnF is purposed more for other creatures than humans such as furries etc., and not really for just a human with special powers or something like that. But I guess it's a fine line indeed!

Generally, it is interesting to see the results so far. While I am not myself hugely into most of the categories I listed as options there, I've been curious about the idea of adding some special powers to matches, and I've also been toying with the idea of adding some "Alternative Arena Attributes" to some of my characters. Like, the idea is that they would be having some (likely just one) special supernatural power they could utilize in matches, pretty much like the option 4, that seems to coincidentally be the most popular so far.

But I do have to say that option 9 is quite true too, because I seem to have my hands full already with threads in the more traditional arenas! Razz

Jaystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Berial Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Yori wrote:Not particularly interested in one off threads and temp characters. In the case of having abilities/powers, FnF exists to fill that gap and also doesn't really see use in that regard.

I pretty much agree with this too. FnF fulfills most the oddity and fantasy elements for characters I have in mind that wouldn't work in Friction/Tension, but by that same token wouldn't work if I were inclined to rework them into a realistic setting.

I think its natural that the Alternative Arena only sees occasional use. I pretty much see it as the "Extras" section of the site. It has no backstage area and the one-off nature of it limits the kind of threads you can have going. That isn't a bad thing, of course.

While I have a thread going there, it was a very spontaneous idea. It's been a lot of fun to do, but beyond it I have zero ideas that would warrant its use relative to the myriad of plans I've been busying myself with for the other three arenas.

In terms of personal appeal, I think the potential for cross-franchise fights can be a lot of fun. It's a good way to avoid the hassle of making up a profile by just having an established character and the freedom to change the setting to make things appropriate. I never had much interest in the "my character but with powers" option, since I feel a lot of the uniqueness and appeal comes from their normality when its introduced to something like pro-wrestling. It also makes for a weird double entendre when these characters already exist in an anime setting, so its not such a subversion from the norm that it's all that engaging a concept.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daaharu Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 am

For me, I'm happy to do those alternative types of matches (superpowered stuff, robots/aliens, possibly deathmatches), but it's just so much easier to do that via IM. I like to focus my forum energies on my official roster.

Contact me on Trillian (daaharu) if you want to chat or want me to reply faster.

Officially caught up to my AFW replies as of January 23, 2021.
Daaharu
Daaharu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaystar Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

I can certainly see better now the reasons behind the Alternative section's lower use. I agree that as probably many of us do not have as much time in their hands as they would wish to be spent for AFW RPing, it is often more tempting and making more sense to prioritize canon threads and building your character's stories.

As there seems to be at least some interest towards the "superpowered characters", I'll consider adding some kind of those "Alternative Arena Attributes" to some of my characters in the future. Just to try them out for fun (given the time/opportunity)! But I don't think it will become a priority of mine at any point.

Jaystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down