» Makoto 'Shogun' Ray (D) vs Erina Stallone
by saryakimura96 Today at 8:38 am

» Avalanche 2023: Iris Takahashi (C) vs Giovanni Zeppeli: Nekketsu Title Match
by saryakimura96 Today at 8:34 am

» The Defiant Darkness tries to get an Underling
by Kookio Today at 4:05 am

» Rina Ninoita vs Akemi Suki - Face Off
by Kookio Today at 3:53 am

» Yori Takibi vs. Birbie Becky - The Blazing Winds Will Rage!
by ARStudios2000 Yesterday at 11:13 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 134 users online :: 4 Registered, 0 Hidden and 130 Guests :: 3 Bots

Lobo, Old_Man_Tai, ScyldScefing, Teenwrestler

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 418 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:51 am
Champions & #1 contenders
FRICTION

Friction World Champion
Rebecca Tomko
#1 contender
Lucia Lynch, The Lone Wolf

Tag Team Champions
Abdicated
#1 contender
Tag Team Glory
vs. Helldozer

Hardcore 24/7 Champion
Jack The Ripper
#1 contender
Yona "The Graceful Undead" Giovanni

Hentai Champion
Aphrodite
#1 contender
Bianca Garcia

Entropy Champion
Panther Risako
#1 contender
???

Rising Star Champion
"La Parca" Maria Castillo
#1 contender
Piper Sherwood

TENSION  

Tension World Champion
Sierra Oasis
#1 contender
???

Nekketsu Champion
Iris Takahashi
#1 contender
Giovanni "Gyro" Zeppeli

Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P

+13
Harrier
LtLukas
snappleR
TheWamts
Deus001
KillerV
Tatyina
Bluemouse
Old_Man_Tai
Lobo
acuyra
killcarrion
Alexandra
17 posters

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P - Page 14 Empty Re: Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P

Post by SleeperAgent94 Tue May 12, 2015 11:24 am

I meant asgardian as off hand. Cause that was Wiccan's code name before he changed. I also found a neat response to the question of why people hate Lady Thor.

The problem with Thorina is that it doesn't make any sense in terms of the history of the character. Picking up Mjolnir does not transform a person into Thor -- it gives them a Thor-like costume and the powers of Thor, but they keep their own identity. For example, when Wonder Woman picked up the hammer, she did not become Thor. Her costume changed and she got Thor's powers, but remained Diana. Same thing with Beta Ray Bill. Same thing with Captain America.
Where people get confused is that four normal human beings who have weilded Thor's hammer have become Thor Odinson. These four men were Donald Blake, Eric Masterson, Jake Olsen and Red Norvell. What is very important to understand is that none of these men became Thor because they picked up Mjlonir.
Instead, all four of these men ("Wielders") had become merged with Thor Odinson by various means. In all four cases Thor Odinson and the the Wielder had become merged into one being, with the Thor personality only coming out when the powers were active.
Donald Blake was Thor's spirit trapped in a mortal form as a punishment by Odin. Eric Masterson became Thor when Odin sealed Thor Odinson into Eric's mind in order to save Eric's life. Jake Olsen was possessed by Thor's soul due to complex manipulations by Hela when Jake and Thor were both killed by the Destroyer in the same battle. Red Norvell became Thor because Odin worked some messed up magic in an attempt to save Thor from Ragnarok by letting Red die in his place.
Supposedly female Thor gained the identity of Thor by lifting the hammer, and Thor Odinson is still wandering about not trapped inside her head. She doesn't gain his body when she gains his powers, unlike every other mortal that actually became Thor.
She is not Thor. She is some other character who has mjolnir and Thor's powers, but she is not Thor. Thor Odinson, is Thor. To say that she is Thor is to ignore the entire Thor canon. It's completely ridiculous.

Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P - Page 14 WC85WE4
SleeperAgent94
SleeperAgent94

Back to top Go down

Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P - Page 14 Empty Re: Comics: Since We Keep Talking About Them Everywhere Else ;P

Post by Bluemouse Tue May 12, 2015 11:31 am

I'm mad about it too

Bluemouse

Back to top Go down

Post by acuyra Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am

Picking up Mjolnir does not transform a person into Thor -- it gives them a Thor-like costume and the powers of Thor, but they keep their own identity. For example, when Wonder Woman picked up the hammer, she did not become Thor. Her costume changed and she got Thor's powers, but remained Diana. Same thing with Beta Ray Bill. Same thing with Captain America.

This isn't quite true.

Whenever I've seen Cap pick up the hammer, he's just been Cap...with the hammer. Same thing with Superman. Also, a normal human (an EMT) picked it up. He did not change. Also, Wonder Woman picked up the hammer over a decade ago for a poorly written crossover that I don't think is even in canon anymore.

She is not Thor.

No, she is Thor. Whether people like that or not, does not change the fact that she is.

It's a plot device. It works however the person writing the comic at the time wants it to work. Just like everything in comics.

Back to top Go down

Post by vhamelin Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

acuya wrote:3) Wonder Woman and Superman are from different companies. Calling themselves Thor would be quite silly.

Hm. . . I'm not sure if it would be silly or not. Thor technically speaking isn't Marvel property entirely since he's from the Nordic Mythos originally. Marvel just brought Asgard to life in their universe.

Back to top Go down

Post by acuyra Tue May 12, 2015 12:21 pm

vhamelin wrote:
acuya wrote:3) Wonder Woman and Superman are from different companies. Calling themselves Thor would be quite silly.

Hm. . .  I'm not sure if it would be silly or not.  Thor technically speaking isn't Marvel property entirely since he's from the Nordic Mythos originally.  Marvel just brought Asgard to life in their universe.  

True, but in order for that to work, DC would have to take Thor's hammer back to the DC Universe in order to do stories with it. That would be an extremely weird thing for Marvel to allow, unless they got something in exchange, like a Green Lantern ring or something.

It would be cool if they could work together to such a degree and allow that sort of thing, but realistically, it just won't happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by vhamelin Tue May 12, 2015 4:34 pm

acuya wrote:
vhamelin wrote:

Hm. . .  I'm not sure if it would be silly or not.  Thor technically speaking isn't Marvel property entirely since he's from the Nordic Mythos originally.  Marvel just brought Asgard to life in their universe.  

True, but in order for that to work, DC would have to take Thor's hammer back to the DC Universe in order to do stories with it. That would be an extremely weird thing for Marvel to allow, unless they got something in exchange, like a Green Lantern ring or something.

It would be cool if they could work together to such a degree and allow that sort of thing, but realistically, it just won't happen.

Not entirely, I think.  For a character like Thor, or even Heracles (Who was featured in Marvel Universe briefly,) it would be based on the artists own interpretations to what they would look like.  Thor in Marvel Universe is what we all know fairly well.  However if you allow someone like Jim Lee get their hands on Thor and the Nordic Mythos, the interpretation may be entirely different.  Mjolnir may look more like a traditional War Hammer as opposed to what Marvel created, or base the design off of the actual symbol.  Personally, I think Mythos based characters are universal as a whole, since they've been around for centuries.  Smile

In all fairness though, having Hippolyta and the Amazons would be a fair exchange for Asgard between the two.  The Greco/Roman Mythos in exchange for the Nordic Mythos.  As far as them working together, it's hard to say.  Unless Disney decides to purchase DC as well, which I seriously doubt would happen at this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatyina Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Hercules wasn't "featured int he marvel universe briefly" He's pretty much a staple character. He's had long runs and is well liked.IIRC, he was a long time Avenger, even.

I know that Thor and Norse Mythology is technically not original Marvel and that it's taken from rl source material, but this iteration of Thor, sort of IS. Sure, DC COULD add Thor to their universe, and make them totally different, but they couldn't just say "hey, Marvel's Thor came to DC and is different "cookiemonster

They would have to do something more like how there is Ares and Ares. And, actually, there's already plenty of Roman/Greco mythology in the Marvel universe. They've tied it all in pretty well. They just do it differently than DC.

Which, is generally how it goes between the two. It's not necessarily which company is doing the better thing. It's which company is doing the thing in the style you prefer.

Akashi Fem Gab Luk Nik Yuu
(M)Managers, (W)restlers, etc:
Abbey Belle
et al.
Tatyina
Tatyina

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra Tue May 12, 2015 9:22 pm

acuya wrote:No, she is Thor. Whether people like that or not, does not change the fact that she is.
See, I don't like this part. I don't mind there being a Fem-Thor, but I don't like her being CALLED Thor.

"Thor" has never been a title. It's a name. It's someone's specific name. You can pass down the role of Captain America to the Falcon or to Bucky, or pass down the title of Batman to Dick Grayson, because those aren't NAMES, they're titles. They're roles.

I know it's silly, but it just really bothers me and gets under my skin. >.<
Alexandra
Alexandra

Back to top Go down

Post by acuyra Wed May 13, 2015 2:39 am

Tatyina wrote:Hercules wasn't "featured int he marvel universe briefly" He's pretty much a staple character. He's had long runs and is well liked.IIRC, he was a long time Avenger, even.

I know that Thor and Norse Mythology is technically not original Marvel and that it's taken from rl source material, but this iteration of Thor, sort of IS. Sure, DC COULD add Thor to their universe, and make them totally different, but they couldn't just say "hey, Marvel's Thor came to DC and is different "cookiemonster

They would have to do something more like how there is Ares and Ares. And, actually, there's already plenty of Roman/Greco mythology in the Marvel universe. They've tied it all in pretty well. They just do it differently than DC.

Which, is generally how it goes between the two. It's not necessarily which company is doing the better thing. It's which company is doing the thing in the style you prefer.

I seem to remember that this is actually the situation in DC - there is a Thor, but he hasn't done much of note.

Back to top Go down

Post by acuyra Wed May 13, 2015 2:53 am

Alexandra wrote:
acuya wrote:No, she is Thor. Whether people like that or not, does not change the fact that she is.
See, I don't like this part. I don't mind there being a Fem-Thor, but I don't like her being CALLED Thor.

"Thor" has never been a title. It's a name. It's someone's specific name. You can pass down the role of Captain America to the Falcon or to Bucky, or pass down the title of Batman to Dick Grayson, because those aren't NAMES, they're titles. They're roles.

I know it's silly, but it just really bothers me and gets under my skin. >.<

I was iffy on it, too, but...

Okay. Aside from the obvious advantage from a marketing standpoint, Thor's name carries weight. He's one of the big guns in the Marvel Universe, most heroes look up to him, stands alongside Captain America. It's a name, but the name means something. In a way, Thor's name has become a title, of sorts.

But recently, Thor has been acting very...unThorlike. He's more jerkish, more brash. He's unworthy, and he hasn't been that way in a long time. He's not the hero he once was, but this new woman IS. She's the hero he can't be at the moment. And her carrying on his name with his blessing sort of cements it. A way of passing on the torch.

It's a little clunky, I'll admit, since most superheroes don't go by their actual real names, but that's what I think they're going for. And I've very much enjoyed this run, so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next